Miscellaneous > Various Locations > P1000036rutland2
Pictures taken at various places
P1000036rutland2 
 Normanton Church, Rutland Water, Rutland, England -The church, with semi-circular portico and tower, a copy of the one at St. John's Smith square, London, was built in 1826-9 and was designed by Thomas Cundy, then architect to the Grosvenor estate in Westminster.

The original site of Normanton Church (St Matthew's Church as it was once known) would have placed it below the proposed water line of Rutland Water reservoir. It was saved from this fate through a project, aided by voluntary subscription, which raised the floor level of the church and protected the lower part of the building with a pier of stones.

The Church now stands proudly by the side of Rutland Water and houses a museum and exhibition on the building of the reservoir which is open to the public from April to October.
© Richard Cook LBIPP
back one image forward one image

Photographer: Richard Cook
Collection: Various Locations
Filename:
P1000036rutland2
Upload Date: Monday, May 14, 2007
Photo Size: 9.7 MB; 4177x2348 pixels
Preview:
  comp 600 x 337

Caption:

Normanton Church, Rutland Water, Rutland, England -The church, with semi-circular

portico and tower, a copy of the one at St. John's Smith square, London, was built in 1826-9 and was designed by Thomas Cundy, then architect to the Grosvenor estate in Westminster.

The original site of Normanton Church (St Matthew's Church as it was once known) would have placed it below the proposed water line of Rutland Water reservoir. It was saved from this fate through a project, aided by voluntary subscription, which raised the floor level of the church and protected the lower part of the building with a pier of stones.

The Church now stands proudly by the side of Rutland Water and houses a museum and exhibition on the building of the reservoir which is open to the public from April to October.